Scholarships are huge accomplishments and are super beneficial to funding your college experience. Something to remember is that if you don’t receive the large dollar amount scholarships, don’t get yourself down!
It’s important to recognize that applying for any and all scholarships you can, no matter the amount, is significant because even getting multiple smaller scholarships will add up!
There are two main types of scholarships:
- School-based scholarships are awarded from the education institution themselves. For example, one school could offer you a $30,000 scholarship per year, but it’s only applicable at that ONE school. Many of these are merit-based, but every school has different opportunities to receive other scholarships.
- General scholarships are awarded from a sponsor or larger organization. These are the types of scholarships that are applicable to any institution, as long as you follow the requirements of the award given.
With the multitudes of scholarships available, there are many websites that are helpful in finding awards that you qualify for! Most of these websites have search engines or filters to find the scholarships that best fit your needs.
- Bold.org: Has scholarships with a variety of monetary values! It has a great search engine and application tracker to manage deadlines.
- Scholarship Hub: Matches you based on your student profile to large national scholarships based either on merit or financial need.
- Cappex.com: Similar to Bold.org, this website also has a variety of options. It has a very specific filter option to look for the scholarships you want!
- Niche.com: Matches you to scholarships based on student profile, major, application difficulty, and state.
- Naviance: Usually offered through your school or district. This is an awesome place to find local scholarships posted by your counselors. If scholarships aren’t posted, don’t be afraid to reach out!
- Scholarships.com: Not only does this website match you with general scholarships, but it also matches you based on colleges you’re looking into attending.
There are many scholarships that are need-based. This means the award will most likely go to a student that demonstrates a higher financial need.
Found on Cappex
- Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church Scholarship, deadline February 29th, 2021
All scholarships below can be found here: https://www.listsofscholarships.com/need-based-scholarships/
- Fontana Transport Inc Scholars Program, deadline: March 15th, 2021
- CANFIT Scholarships, deadline: March 31st, 2021
- Only Trade Schools Support Scholarship, deadline: March 31st, 2021
- Adam Greenman Scholarship for Future Lawyers, deadline: June 6th, 2021
- Annie S. Alexander Memorial Scholarship, deadline: June 15th, 2021
- Student Loan Hero Scholarship, deadline: August 15th, 2021
- Young Christian Leaders Scholarship Program, deadline: September 15, 2021
- Barnes Scholarship, deadline: October 21st, 2021
- “Business Plan” Scholarship for Students with Disabilities, deadline: November 1st, 2021
- Computersciencemajor.org--Road to the Future Scholarship, deadline: November 1st, 2021
- Scholarship for Students with Self Employment Experience by Choose What, deadline: November 1st, 2021
- Dronethusiast Global Drone Scholarship, deadline: December 1st, 2021
- Caroline E. Holt Nursing Scholarship
Here is a large list of scholarships that apply to students in high-school or who are already enrolled in a university pursuing an undergraduate degree: https://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarship-directory/financial-need/financial-need-required
There are also merit-based scholarships. This means that the award will most likely go to a student with high level academics in terms of GPA or courses taken. These scholarships also take into consideration community service, student activities, and other extracurriculars.
- Intuit Scholarship Program, deadline: January 26th, 2021 (can be found on Scholarship Hub)
- Equitable Excellence Scholarship, deadline: January 28th, 2021 (can be found on Scholarship Hub)
- Coca-Cola Scholars Program (found on Coca-Cola site)
- GE Reagan Foundation Scholarship (found on Scholarship Hub). While it is currently not available for the Class of 2021, it will be available in Fall 2021 for the Class of 2022.
All scholarships below can be found here: https://www.listsofscholarships.com/merit-based-scholarships/
- Ruth K. Jacobs Memorial Scholarship, deadline: February 1st, 2021
- Arata, Swingle, Van Egmond and Goodwin Scholarship, deadline: March 1st, 2021
- Influence Print Award for Design Excellence, deadline: July 31st, 2021
- Soliant’s Sunrise Scholarship, deadline: September 15th, 2021
- Direct Energy Live Brighter Scholarship, deadline: September 30th, 2021
- Staver Law Group National Scholarship, deadline: December 1st, 2021
- Flosum Salesforce Developers Scholarship, deadline: December 15th, 2021
- Affordable Medical Scholarship, deadline: December 31st, 2021
Some scholarships are a combination of merit and need-based. This means the award will go the student that demonstrates a high level of merit (usually partnered with some community service or student activities) but also in a position of financial need.
Some scholarships are neither and are simply looking at students that fit the qualifications they’re looking for. Scholarships below can be found here: https://www.listsofscholarships.com/need-based-scholarships/
- Foundation of the Carolinas Scholarships, deadline: November 30th, 2021
- CC Bank’s Young Scholars Scholarship, deadline: December 31st, 2021.
The following websites will take you to a large list of scholarships available for students that are juniors or seniors in high school!
- $25K Be Bold Scholarship, deadline: January 31st, 2021
- AEP Diversity in the Environment Scholarship, deadline: October 2nd, 2021
National scholarships will be the ones that award the most money, but remember that they are highly competitive with the entire nation. Almost every national scholarship will have some sort of essay and activities requirement. While you’re in a high level competition, it’s still important that you apply to these! Some examples of national scholarships are provided above, such as:
- Coca-Cola Scholars Program
- National Honor Society Scholarship Program
- This is not currently open for the Class of 2021, but it will open in Fall 2021 for the Class of 2022.